Monday, April 2, 2012

3 Blind Mice

So as a follow up to the ‘Rabbit in the Grill’ story, apparently we didn’t actually solve the problem.  It seems that our little mouse must have had babies. 

While walking Foster outside, I only took one step off of my front step and I noticed three very tiny little mice.  So, of course I throw Foster back in the house (and the way he tried to attack them, you would think a steak dinner was running around on the ground) and go outside to figure out what to do with these little things. 



I decided that they would get stepped on because they were just lying out in the grass, so I found a bucket and added an empty paper towel roll, grass, some wood chips, and a clean rag to keep them warm and carried them into the house. 

After calling around to pet stores, they all said that the mommy mouse was probably eaten by a bird because she wouldn’t leave her babies that young. 

The mice were super small; about the size of a quarter.  Two of them didn’t even have their eyes open yet.  Based off of my reading, apparently this means that they would need to be fed by a bottle every hour to two hours.  Sorry little mice, I don’t have time for that.  But I also don’t have the heart to just let them outside to die.

Next phone call – the AARK.  First thing the guy asks me “What species of mouse to you have?”  My answer, “I don’t know, they are grey and I found them in my yard.”  Probably not helpful to him at all.  Thankfully the AARK (wildlife animal rescue) happens to only be 1.5 miles from my house.  So off we go to the AARK. 

I thought I would just be able to drop them off, but nope, I actually had to fill out basic paperwork for them.  And just incase I care to ever follow-up, they were given a reference number and I can call and check on them J. 

And while I am well aware this is way more than any person should ever do, this accomplished two things:  1. now the mice are definitely away from my house and not just in a hole outside my house.  2.  I don’t have to walk outside one day and see a collection of dead mice.  I call that a Win Win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment