Monday, January 23, 2012

Foster, Foster, Foster

Foster has been with us for a little over a month now and aside from a few issues, he is doing great with our family.  Our biggest issue with Foster is that he doesn’t do well with being locked up by himself.  We started with him in our laundry room with a blanket to sleep on – every time we left he had an accident and was slowly scratching away our molding around the door.  We then moved to a crate and put him in the same room as Bailey.  We thought this would be fabulous.  They can see each other and this should keep him calm.  Our first time leaving him locked in the crate (with a yummy peanut butter Kong), we actually videotaped him.  First 15 mins were rough, but eventually he settled down.  However, he still had accidents.  Now, a boy dog having accidents in a metal crate means that he kindly pees out of the crate on to our wall and carpet.  Perfect!  At least he settled down – we must be moving in the right direction. 

Saturday night we put the dogs in their crates with their peanut butter Kongs and go hang out with our neighbors.  About an hour into being there, Hannah comes running into the kitchen…”I see Foster”.  I’m like, “that’s right, you can see into our office from the window.”  Kev’s like “She has such an imagination.”  3 hours later, we go home and SURPRISE!  Foster greets us at the door.  I go into the office and Bailey is sound asleep and Foster’s crate is still locked on top, but he somehow got himself and his blanket out of the crate.  He’s 60 lbs.  The crate is metal and it wasn’t bent at all.  Still don’t know how he did that.  Good news is that the house wasn’t damaged at all.

Our new approach is to see how he does not locked up at all.  Sunday, we give them each their Kongs in their crates – but we don’t lock Foster’s.  He was home alone for 3 hours and for the first time – no damage or accidents!!  Maybe we’re finally making progress.  I’m pretty sure he stole Bailey’s sleeping spot on the couch while we were out.  And I’m well aware that it isn’t fair that Bailey is still in her crate and Foster is out, but Bailey also gets to sleep on the couch and bed and Foster gets the floor.  So I’m figuring that it evens out. 

We just received this letter from the shelter –

Susan --- My name is Celeste and Farson now Foster came from our high kill shelter to Almost Home and Carolyn shared this with me- I can’t thank you enough for adopting through a rescue and giving this boy a home- when he first came to our shelter and was picked up as a stray I was sure he would be reclaimed and someone was looking for him- he came in very clean nails trimmed so mannerly and obedient house broke and day after day he appeared to be looking for someone and soon became very kennel depressed and stopped eating and the shelter put him on the euth list- it made me sick- I loved this dog and felt so bad for him not being able to reunite him with his family- thanks goodness a friend of mine offered to foster him so he wasn’t put down until I could fine a rescue to take him - I had sent his pictures to many rescues begging for help with him and was thrilled when almost home said they could take him- it brought tears of joy to my eyes
when I seen this update and pics of him- he looks fabulous and I thank you all for loving him and giving him this wonderful home- he appears to love the little one in the home:) I shared this with my friend to - take care and give him a hug for me-

Almost made me cry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment